North American Overlay Mapping
How To Get Going Immediately
- When the startup page displays, choose your screen-resolution from the links bottom-right. This will load the corrrect Navigation page.
- When the Navigation page has loaded, click on the small map to load a larger one, or select a position from one of the other entry boxes. The 2 large-scale Overview maps are loaded by clicking on the Overview names, or by selecting a position outside the boundaries of the other maps.
- Once the map loads, use the Background and Foreground tabs overhead to turn different overlays on and off. Only one Background overlay can be on at a time, but multiple Foreground overlays can be on simultaneously, in whatever order you choose. Colored tabs indicate the overlays that are currently on show. The top overlay is indicated by the colored bar in between the line of tabs. To re-position an overlay to the top, turn it off then on again.
- Click on the 'Locate' button to turn the Locator Map on and off. This map also comes on for 2 seconds when a new map is loaded. If you wish, change this feature with the 'Options' tool.
- Click on the big map to add a Map Pin. Click on the Pin to remove it again. Up to 8 pins can be in use at one time. Their positions will be remembered even when you load a new map, and you can check or reference them to other locations with the different pin-tools.
- Click on the 'Tools' button to access the multi-function Tool Menus. Many of these tools require one or more Map Pins to work with. Close the Tool box by clicking on the 'X'.
- If you have a connection to the Internet, click on the APRS button to show the APRS menu, which lets you overlay live position icons for all stations in the FindU database onto the current map. You can also show history-tracks and breadcrumb trails, to see where a station has recently been.
- Click on the 'Scale' button to turn the Scale-Bar on and off. Click and Drag to move it around the screen.
- Click on the 'Grid' button to turn the two Graticules (decimal or seconds) on and off. Click to alternate which one is on - each will remember its current position. Click and Drag a graticule to move it around the screen - they are especially useful when you have turned the main 1 degree Lat/Lon overlay on.
- Click on the 'Time' button to turn the Time display box on and off. This shows the current date and time for UTC, and all of the 8 North American time zones.
- Navigate to other maps using the Arrow buttons on the toolbar. 'H' will load the map for your Home position. Click on the tiny map to return to the Navigation page.